Fort Stevens State Park

1-5 of 5 images in this category.

(Excerpted from Wikipedia article)

Fort Stevens State park, near Warrenton, ten miles west of Astoria, includes the military installation by the same name, and the surrounding area all the way to the South Jetty of the Columbia river.

Named for slain Civil War general and former Washington Territory governor Isaac Stevens, the fort was built near the end of the Civil War to defend the mouth of the Columbia from potential British attack during the Pig War of 185970.

In 1906, the crew of the sailing ship Peter Iredale sought refuge at the fort after it ran aground on Clatsop Spit. The wreck is still visible today within the present-day boundaries of Fort Stevens State Park.

(Return to the main Oregon Coast gallery)